FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who can host a food drive?
Food drives can be held by anyone!
- Friends and Family
- Service Clubs and Community Groups
How long should my food drive be?
Depending on who is hosting the food drive they can vary in length. Neighbourhood food drives are often done in one day, a few hours in the afternoon or evening. If a larger group, such as a school or business, is hosting they sometimes will be a few weeks or up to a month in length.
What are the recommended non-perishable items to collect for a food drive?
- Canned soups
- Canned vegetables
- Salad dressing
- Oil and vinegar
- Pasta sauces
- Canned stew and chili
- Canned tuna and chicken
- Peanut butter and jam
- All condiments (mustard, relish, ketchup, mayonnaise)
What "catchy" ways can one host a food drive?
Some may feel that a "gimmick" is needed for a food drive. There are many creative ways you do this, to help, here are a few examples:
- Fill a one tonne truck
- Stuff a bus
- Food fight - different areas of the company or different school classes compete against each other
- Entry fee for an event - dances, concerts, parties
- Bring a can for "Dress Down Days"
- Particular holiday or day of observance
How should I promote my food drive?
- Facebook and other social media
- Email blasts
- Announcements throughout the office, school or organization
- Radio or newspaper
What type of boxes or containers should I use?
It is best to use boxes or containers that do not get too heavy when full. Banker's boxes are the perfect size for food, and they also have handles for easy transport. We often have crates available for use that are great for food handling, call to inquire if they are available.
How do I deliver my food drive items to Shelter House?
Please call ahead to arrange delivery date and time.
Shelter House is located at 420 George Street