COVID-19 - Update
Safety for our clients, our staff, our volunteers, and our community is our number one priority. We have updated our services in the following way:
- Our meal service is take-out only until further notice.
- We have temporarily suspended our SOS Program.
- We have made changes to our volunteer program.
In order to support our community, we’re serving approximately 800 individuals a day through our feeding program, our emergency shelter, and our 24 hour walk-up window. We’re doing everything we can to ensure no one goes hungry and has a safe place to stay.
We have been adhering to recommendations provided by the Thunder Bay District Health Unit to ensure the safety of our clients, staff, volunteers, and community members. These recommendations have unfortunately come at a significant cost to us (cleaning supplies, PPE, take-out containers, food, etc.). We always like to embrace chaos, and we’re doing everything that we can to support our community at this time.
At this time, we are asking that monetary donations please be made online, to limit the traffic in and out of our building, please see below for in-kind donations.
We are still operating 24/7, and we are so thankful for our wonderful staff as they are working harder than ever to support our most vulnerable population. Any new developments will be announced on our social media and updated on our website.
If you have any questions at this time, please contact Kimberley at 474-4357 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For community resources during this time, please visit the Roots To Harvest website. They have done a wonderful job at compiling what’s available for the community. Click here to go to their website.
At this time, we are only accepting the following in-kind donations:
- Unexpired/unopened food items – perishable/non-perishable
- PPE (hand-sanitizer, disinfecting spray, face masks, gloves, etc.)
We please ask that you please hang onto any other donations at this time, as we will be unable to accept them for the safety of our staff.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the following measures are being taken to ensure the safety of our staff, clients, and volunteers:
1. Only 3-5 volunteers for each meal service (lunch and dinner) will be allowed in the kitchen at one time to minimize contact and keep traffic low within the building. We welcome any groups that still want to provide help, however, we ask that larger groups contact Eric, our Volunteer Coordinator, to see if there is the potential to split their members up into two separate dates or times.
2. Our meals will be packaged in a take-out format for the time being. Shelter House staff will serve these meals to the general community who use our services in a separate area from the kitchen.
3. If able, we would love it if groups are able to provide take-out containers to go with any planned meals. For example, a soup or stew could be packaged in empty yogurt containers.
4. With the increased demand on our meal services, we also ask groups to prepare a quantity of food that will serve approximately 200 people.
Sign-up for quarterly updates straight to your inbox!
Stay in-the-know with what’s happening at Shelter House with our quarterly newsletter. Our first newsletter will be sent out at the end of March 2020, so please sign-up so you don’t miss out!