Volunteering - COVID 19 UPDATE
We will be resuming our volunteer program on Tuesday, August 3rd, 2021 with the following measures:
1. Only 5 volunteers for each meal service (lunch and dinner) will be allowed in the kitchen at one time to minimize contact and keep traffic low within the building. We welcome any groups that still want to provide help, however, we ask that larger groups contact a member of our administrative team (email@example.com or 474-4357) to see if there is the potential to split their members up into two separate dates or times.
2. Our meals will be packaged in a take-out format for the time being. Shelter House staff will serve these meals to the general community who use our services in a separate area from the kitchen.
3. With the increased demand for our meal services, we also ask groups to prepare a quantity of food that will serve approximately 200 people.
4. In order to volunteer you must ensure you have completed both the online volunteer application form/waiver and the COVID-19 Acknowledgement.
When volunteering, you must:
- Be able to pass a screening to be allowed into the building.
- Have completed the necessary forms.
- Have booked a time to be here.
- Sign-in with our staff.
- Comply will all COVID-19 protocols within our facilities.
Please complete the form at the bottom of this page if you’re interested in volunteering with us once we re-open. If you have already completed our volunteer application/waiver and COVID-19 Acknowledgement and are looking to sign up for a meal service or two, please follow this link to our SignUp page to claim you spot(s)! New to SignUp, and would like a brief tutorial please click here. If you would prefer to not use this new tool, please contact us directly to schedule a time by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 474-4357. We can’t wait for you to join us again!
Do you love to cook? Volunteer to prepare delicious, healthy choices for up to 150 people for Shelter House’s two daily hot meals. Our storage room is well stocked with perishable and non-perishable food and our professional kitchen has soup kettles, a cook top, a convection oven, a walk in fridge and a freezer and much more!
Life Enrichment Volunteers
Do you like helping people with meaningful activities? Enrichment activities are valuable for people who struggle with conventional forms of communication. Sharing creative activities such as knitting, beading and art making can help to increase confidence, rebuild self-esteem and develop skills. A six-month commitment is required to build familiarity.
Use the Shelter House van to pick up much needed food from donor restaurants and grocery stores in Thunder Bay. This task is done 7 days a week, with the exception of holidays. We provide the van, the gas, and driving route. All you need is a valid Class G license and the ability to be added to Shelter House’s insurance policy.
At Shelter House’s 24-hour facility there’s always so much that needs to get done. We welcome all the help we can get for everyday jobs such as cleaning, doing laundry, packaging sandwiches and pastries for food at the door, and sorting and putting away food after a food drive.
Fundraising and Events
Shelter House Thunder Bay relies heavily on the generosity of our community to help us reach or annual fundraising goal of $500,000. You can help us reach this goal by getting involved through our fundraising events, creating your own or helping one of the many 3rd party events hosted on our behalf.
Interested in volunteering?
If at any point you said to yourself, “I CAN DO THAT!”, we would like to hear from you! Shelter House relies heavily on the kindness and generosity of community members, a little help goes a long way!
Please fill out the volunteer form below. For more information, please email email@example.com